Book Club - The Secret Life of Bees

Tuesday 5 July 2011

I have recently joined a book club with some of the mums from Miss 8's school and am loving it! The book we have just finished is Sue Monk Kidd's The Secret Life of Bees. I enjoyed this book, Kidd's writing style  makes for very easy reading but to be honest I was a little bit disappointed. Without spoiling it for those of you who haven't read it, a tragedy occurs later in the book that left me feeling that the book was missing something because I wasn't overly upset by this tragedy. I love to form an emotional attachment to characters (and have a good bawl) and I'm not sure whether the lack of attachment was deliberate (as the main character is a little distant from some of those around her) or whether it was just a product of the lighter writing style. Either way, it was a really good read, but it didn't make the list of all time favourites.

This month we are tackling Craig Silvey's Jasper Jones. Whilst I worked at the bookstore we sold a gazillion copies of this and it was especially popular with book clubs so fingers crossed it delivers something special.

Until next time.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!