April Alliums

Monday 18 April 2016

Good grief, what a crazy autumn we are having! Just 2 days ago I took the girls to the cinema and when we left at 6.30 it was full dark but still 27 degrees! In the middle of autumn!!! Thankfully a cooler change moved in yesterday also bringing some much needed rain. Hopefully the cool temperatures are a sign that winter will actually get a look in this year.

I hear so many people say they would rather summer than winter but I'm not one of them. The cooler temps mean I might actually get out into the garden for a change. I find by the end of summer the veg patch is definitely looking worse for wear (picture the weeds taller than most of the veg plants) as spending time out there when the temps are high is the last thing I want to do. I swear with each passing year my tolerance for the heat decreases.

So every autumn I have to start the veg patch again, pretty much from scratch. Bummer.

But this self imposed exile also means that by the time autumn arrives I am really hanging to get out there.

Desperate? Possibly.

Extremely motivated? Most definitely.

Last year's garlic patch

So the next couple of weeks will find me weeding, adding compost to the veg beds and planting anything Allium. April = All things Allium. Onions, leeks, garlic and shallots are at the top of my list. I love each and every one of them. Last year's garlic was semi successful. I left it a few days late to harvest and by that time we had a lot of rain over the few days so some of the heads had started to rot. Some of them were also horribly small, edible, but a pest to peel all those tiny cloves to use when I'm cooking. So I have saved some of the larger heads for planting and hopefully I will have a slightly more successful harvest in spring.

Fingers crossed.

xx


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!