Sauerkraut

Wednesday 16 December 2020

This year is the first year I have been able to successfully grow cabbages. Sure, some of them were absolutely smashed by cabbage moth and the subsequent caterpillars, but I still managed to get some out of the seeds I planted. Now I know I can grow them I'll look at some netting options for next year.

I've also had some health issues over the past few years being diagnosed with a Helicobacter Pylori infect not once but twice! The antibiotics and other medication given to treat the infection are absolutely vile so I'm trying to do everything to ensure I don't get a third infection so it was an easy step from cabbages to making sauerkraut!

I bough one of Sandor Katz's books a couple of months ago but still hadn't taken the step until I was watching an episode of Gardening Australia and there he was, the man himself, making sauerkraut. And it was dead easy.


So here it is, my first attempt. I can't wait until it's ready, I have no idea how long it will take but as it is the middle of summer I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

Have you made sauerkraut? Any tips you'd like to share?

xx

R

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!