Apple & Cinnamon Muffins

Monday 8 April 2013



I love muffins. They are quite delicious and the varieties are endless. I usually make my apple muffins with grated fresh apple but I stumbled over this recipe over the Easter break and since I had a tin or two of pie apples in the cupboard I made this instead.

Melt 150g butter and set aside to cool slightly.

Preheat oven to 200 degreesC and lightly grease your muffin tray.

Empty a 400g can pie apple into a bowl and use a knife to break into smaller pieces.

Sift 2 1/2 cups (310g) of SR flour (I use wholemeal) and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon into a large mixing bowl, add 2/3 cup soft brown sugar. Make a well.

Whisk together 2 eggs with 1 1/3 cups of milk and 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence and pour into the well. Add melted butter.

Gently fold the ingredients together with a metal spoon until almost combined. Add the apple and stir through.

Fill each muffin hole with the mixture, be generous as this mixture doesn't rise as much as other muffin mixes.

Sprinkle each with finely chopped walnuts (about 1/2 cup in total, although like every other recipe with nuts in it, I am very generous with the nuts!).

Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until they have risen and are golden brown.

Allow to cool for a couple of minutes and then gently remove from the muffin tin (I like to use a knife for this) and move to a wire rack.

Serve warm or at room temperature. Yum!

Because these muffins are very moist they should last for a few days, but only if you can keep them hidden from the kids!

Recipe from The Essential Baking Cookbook - ISBN 0 86411 940 2




No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!