Garden diary

Sunday 12 August 2018

The loquats will be ready soon

The poor vegetable garden has been terribly neglected over the last few weeks as we spent almost every spare second building my studio (squee! more on that later) but this week I was able to spend a little time up there.

Most excitingly I have planted these very-hard-to-see sticks!



So they're not really sticks but raspberries! I ordered them a while ago and have been waiting rather impatiently for them to arrive and this week they did. I put them in one of the raised beds, no doubt they will need to be moved next year but for now I hope this spot will be adequate.

We still have 3 weeks of winter left and we had a severe frost a few weeks ago, so bad that some of the trees around the house were even damaged so I have very nervously planted some seeds in the shade house.

I have sown the following:
Tomatoes (Rouge de Marmande and Beefsteak)
Zucchini (black and green varieties)
Corn
Cucumbers (Lebanese, Crystal Apple and Long Supermarket)
Saltbush
Dahlias
Silverbeet.

I've had a bit of a problem with rodents eating my seedlings during the winter months and have taken some steps to prevent this happening again but it's a wait and see game.

xx
R


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!